A hospital project undergoes various stages of evolution from conceptualization and viability surveys, budgeting, architectural planning and design, construction and much more.
Amongst the various activities executed, the hospital consultants perform an important process called medical and allied equipment planning and provide procurement assistance right till the commissioning of the hospital. This process commences with the hospital consultant identifying the level of technology of medical equipment the hospital should have, forming a bridge and interface between the clinicians and medical equipment vendors.
|The role of hospital consultant as a medical equipment planner can be briefly highlighted as:|
STAGE I: Conceptualization
- The hospital consultants (hereafter referred to as medical equipment planners) give a concrete shape to the ideas of the client by performing a market analysis and financial feasibility study. Based on this, they plan the type, quantity and level of technology of the medical equipment that the hospital should have.
- These medical equipment planners have extensive knowledge on the latest developments of medical equipment and hence can suggest ‘appropriate’ equipment for the hospital.
- Depending upon the specialties, type, size, location of the hospital, its drainage area and type of patients the hospital will cater to, the medical equipment planners prepare a budgetary list of this asset class. No doubt inputs from associated clinicians is taken cognizance of.
- This budget then becomes a very essential and important component of the entire capital budget of the hospital.
STAGE II: Techno- Commercial Analysis
- Based on the final generic list of the medical equipment, the planners prepare detailed technical specifications for the medical equipment proposed to be acquired for the hospital.
- These are then shared with respective vendors and quotations are invited.
- Once the proposals are received, the medical equipment planners do a thorough techno-commercial comparison
- Amongst other parameters, the vendor selection widely depends on the client’s preference, commercials, upgradable technology, reliability and after sales service record.
- The medical equipment planner plays an important role in the finalization of the medical equipment advising the client on all essential factors that have to be discussed and negotiated with the vendors.
STAGE III: Purchase procedures and after sales support.
- The medical equipment planners consult with the project managers in regards to the completion of phases of construction. Depending on this, they plan out the medical equipment procurement and deliveries.
- The entire quantum of the medical equipment is divided into groups and the purchase schedule is planned accordingly considering the lead time of the equipment and other factors. For e.g. the finalization of complex equipment and systems such as Radiation therapy or CT/ MRI, etc. are done first as they require assistance for installation. The plug and play type of equipment such as defibrillator, ventilator etc. can be acquired at a later stage.
- The medical equipment planners assist in drafting purchase order terms, encompassing various clauses related to pre and post-delivery of the equipment.
STAGE IV: Overseeing Installation
- Once the construction is complete and the medical equipment are delivered in phases, the medical equipment planners oversee the installation.
- They also monitor dry runs and training of the staff relevant to the equipment.
Medical equipment planners, thus provide a total solution for medical and allied devices and systems bringing in their in depth knowledge and experience, to ensure that the hospital acquires the most appropriate medical devices. All in all, they provide a complete solution.